Nearly Half Of College Students Say They Have Driven Drunk or Buzzed

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 10.58.59 PMDriving drunk is one of the most common reasons for road accidents. According to the CDC, 10,076 people were killed in 2013 due to drunk driving. That represents about 31% of driving-related deaths. 

In a recent poll on the Whatsgoodly app, the majority of students responded that they had not driven drunk or buzzed. 

However, 24% reported that they have driven buzzed, and the remaining 23% have admitted to drunk driving. This combined percentage of 47% represents the amount of student respondents who admitted to having driven buzzed or drunk.

People’s opinions regarding the issue varied widely. Some students were very critical towards people who practice buzzed or drunk driving, while others left seemingly provocative comments on the poll on the Whatsgoodly app.

drunk driving comment 2

drunk driving comment 3

Even though there are students say that it’s fine to drive while buzzed and a select few who defended that drunk driving is okay, most of the comments on the Whatsgoodly app spoke out about drunk driving.

One student from the University of Illinois commented to speak out against this high percentage of drunk and buzzed student drivers:

drunk driving comment 1

Whatsgoodly data mirrors other studies

The findings from this Whatsgoodly poll that polled over 5,000 students at universities across the U.S. mirrored findings from a study co-authored by Amelia M. Arria at the University of Maryland School of Public Health, that interviewed 1,250 first-year college students and found that 1 in 5 college students admitted to drunk driving. 

Collect your own poll data on the Whatsgoodly App

Whether you’re collecting data for your next term paper, or you simply need some dating advice, Whatsgoodly has your back. Download the free app today on the App Store.

Christine Celis

Christine is a 20-something who has no idea what to do with her life after choosing to become a Linguistics and Literature major. She's now battling a major quarter-life crisis. Her days are mostly composed of writing, smoking, spoiling her pug, Chip, to death and swiping left a lot on Tinder. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *